I was never a huge fan of salads, I found them unsatisfying and would find myself hungry a half hour later searching the cupboards. However after playing around with different ingredients and trying all different combos a big salad is one of my favorite meals and is my lunch 90% of the time. It’s a great way to fuel your body with all the micro nutrients that it needs. If you are satisfying your body with all these micro nutrients it can in fact reduce cravings thus preventing you from overeating. Salads can be prepared the night before or in the morning to grab and go on your way out the door for lunch.
- Chicken breast (any meat of choice, a can of tuna can be handy if in a rush)
- Cajun Spice
- Handful of Blueberries (or any fruit, pineapple, apple and dried fruits are my favourites)
- Handful of Nut or seed of choice (cashews, walnuts, flaked almonds, sunflower seeds etc)
- Feta Cheese
- 2 handfuls of Spinach
- 1 Beetroot
- ½ Bell Pepper
- Grated carrot
- Cherry Tomatoes
With this salad I don’t find it necessary to use a dressing but if you decide to the best option would be a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Grill or bake the chicken breast seasoned with Cajun spice (grill: 10mins; bake@180 for 30mins)
- Chop all salads into small pieces or whatever your preference and place in Tupperware
- Crumble feta cheese on top
- Throw in a handful of blueberries and a handful of cashew nuts
- Add dressing if desired and toss salad
- Slice chicken breast and place over the salad
I prepared 10 chicken fillets at the start of the week and make my salads in about 5 minutes the night before. Time is no excuse for letting your nutrition slip, all it takes is a bit of preparation. Of course you can pick and choose if you want to take some ingredients out or put some in. Let me know what ye guys think. Get creative, let the salad combos commence.
This article is by Coach Shane Kingston. Sport and Exercise Scientist and Strength and Conditioning Coach at ACLAÍ.
For daily nutrition tips you can Follow Shane on Instagram by clicking here.